28 Mar 2014

On how Elisabeth came to be



Here is the next installment of the design stories behind my new products.
Today I’m going to tell you all about Elisabeth.

Now if you never heard the name William Morris before, you will most certainly recognise at least some of his designs.


This fabric is an imported quilting cotton, released some few years ago to celebrate the birthday (if I recall correctly) of the person regarded as the “father” of the Arts and Crafts movement.
Being a William Morris fan-for-life, I could not resist buying the fat quarter pack containing these prints.  As the prints totally speak for themselves in my opinion, I kept the patchwork as simple as possible, not adding anything or taking anything away.



Originally Elisabeth had wooden handles, purchased at my local fabric store.  Unfortunately – as with most things found in South Africa these days (or what feels like it), the quality was sadly lacking.  My daughter accidentally bumped the bag off my work table and the one wooden handle broke.  Yeah. The wood BROKE.  For the longest time I could not for the life of me figure out what to do with this bag that was made to have those specific handles.  Then, lo! and behold! I found a similar shape set in resin.  I bought them – doubtful that they would fit or even look nice on the bag.  


To say that I was relieved and grateful that not only did the handles fit, they actually looked real good on the bag, is a total understatement.




So, what do you think? Do you think the handles go with the bag or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment, I love to hear your views!